I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named.   (Ephesians 3:14,15)
So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.   (Galatians 6:10)
So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household,   (Ephesians 2:19)
but in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth.   (1 Timothy 3:15)
It’s very apparent from the New Testament writings that one of the aspects of the Church of Jesus Christ is that we are a family.  This is a fact that most Christians would agree with in theory (and doctrine) but how often is it practiced?
The Importance of God’s Family
Jesus Christ clearly declared the priority and importance of God’s family:
Another of the disciples said to Him, “Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.” But Jesus *said to him, “Follow Me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead.” (Matthew 8:22,23)
“Another one said, ‘I have married a wife, and for that reason I cannot come.(Luke 14:20)
“If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple.”  (Luke 14:26)
“For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.”  (Matthew 22:30)
Someone said to Him, “Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You.” But Jesus answered the one who was telling Him and said, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, “Behold My mother and My brothers! ”For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother.” (Matthew 12:47-50)
Apparently Jesus has a totally different paradigm for family than we do.  Could it be that’s because he comes from a totally different realm?  His values are totally different than our’s because he only has one thing in view… God’s eternal purpose!  You think maybe we all need a totally different viewpoint?  Ya think?
God has his own family and that family is unlike any earthly family that has ever existed.  Thank God for that!  I said in the last post that in order for us to experience authentic brotherhood and sisterhood we needed to experience authentic family.  I’m, of course, speaking of the spiritual family of God.
But What Does it Look Like?
I have experienced this kind of family/body life myself for several years.  I do not claim to be an expert on it, but I can say that it is the most glorious (and also frustrating) experience you will ever have!  It takes a huge amount of embracing the work and way of the cross in your own life to live this way.  I always tell believers that if they are not getting on each others’ nerves and offending one another, then they are not yet close enough to one another!  Love and forgiveness will need to be applied constantly.  It will get very bloody at times, but if you go to the cross and let your own desires and agendas die, then his life will begin to be displayed.
So what does it look like?  At times it will look like an awful mess!  At other times it will look a lot like Jesus Christ Himself!  But I will tell you that there is nothing else on this planet that even comes close to beholding Christ through the members of his Body!
I have asked a few sisters and brothers to share their own experiences.  These are all saints who have lived in “families” where Christ is the center and the head and everyone involved wants his family.  A lot!
My experience with brotherhood in Christ has been as close to watching Jesus with His disciples as I could imagine. As I have wondered what it looks like to really bear our daily cross in practical ways, I simply have to look to the brothers I have grown together with to see how Christ moves in each of their lives. Christ is answering the question right in front of me through each of them! Brothers have humbled themselves to restore a relationship, truly forgiven each other in love, sacrificed their own needs to provide for others, sought the counsel of others to make decisions, encouraged each other, confronted each other, and relentlessly pursued Christ together. In short, the brothers have (and continue to) teach me exactly what it means to live by Christ’s life!  
Mark Lake – Florida           blog: http://xpchrist.wordpress.com
Understanding who you are in Christ is the heartbeat of Christ’s Body.  It is the thing that allows you to function and express Him. Often, we don’t know who we are.  We do not understand our own expression. We do not understand how to function.  This is where brothers and sisters become absolutely vital!  Without the brothers and sisters constantly reminding me who I am, via notes, voicemails, emails, a dinner out or lipstick words on my mirror, I would not know how to walk in truth. I would not recognize the lies and I would not be free to be me.  The actual me. The me created before the foundations of the world were spoke into being.  I don’t remember who I was before them.  My encouragement to each of us – speak life and truth to each other.  Speak it loud and often.
Heather Proctor – Tennessee      blog: http://www.heatherproctor.net
Being a part of a brotherhood is unlike anything I have been a part of. The brotherhood is a place where men can creatively function as the male gen